RE: Eric Sedor has a piece on tech writing for the cloud

Subject: RE: Eric Sedor has a piece on tech writing for the cloud
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:36:10 -0400

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the question was directed more toward the notion of working as a technical writer, using cloud-based authoring tools, and keeping your source files in the cloud, and possibly collaborating with other writers, editors, and reviewers, by that means.

Let's offer a hypothetical case, and leave to your imagination exactly which list member(s) it might apply to.

Say somebody was a developer and vendor of equipment that governments and big companies (like Google and AWS) use to secure their cloud-ish offerings. The supplier of the equipment and tools trusts that equipment and those tools.
The individual cloud-providing customer trusts those tools and also trusts their own tools and practices that would use the first party's security stuff. But... the other big customers - like governments, or like big companies competing in the same cloud-provider space - would prefer that the security-equipment vendor NOT put all their development, communication, storage, and other eggs in the cloud-basket of a competitor or of a company they don't control fairly closely.

So, that unnamed developer and vendor of equipment would be a big part of the security infrastructure of various cloud-ish offerings, but could not, themselves "eat their own dogfood" by entrusting to any given big customer. Their other big customers simply wouldn't stand for it.

By strange coincidence, I do all my writing and collaborating and passing-around-for-review inside our corporate boundaries, and nothing is stored or shared in any public cloud, and no cloud-based tools are used.