RE: When to write in less-than-perfect Agile

Subject: RE: When to write in less-than-perfect Agile
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:24:46 -0400

I feel your pain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Neilson
Sent: April-01-14 10:16 AM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

If a project has two parts, and part 2 dev can't start until part 1 is nearly complete, but nobody quite understands that it's two parts, you'll be chasing the part 2 specs, trying to write something. What could be worse? Well, part 2 could require far less effort than was allocated, and your writing team will be unable to produce much of anything, perhaps because the Javadoc that finally emerged from part 1 covered everything that needed to be said for part 2.

All the while you'll be attending those scrums where minute details of inner workings are being corrected...

DEV: "We've changed to a different hashing algorithm."
WRI: "Okay, and how does that affect the doc set?"
DEV: "It shouldn't, not at all."

WRI: "So what does the user interface actually look like?"
DEV: "We'll tell you when we figure it out. If we need one at all. A lot of the parameters will be self adjusting."
WRI: "Good enough. What are the ones that'll need tweaking by the user?"
DEV: "We don't know yet."

I have no solution to the problem.

or disclosing it.

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS