Re: Google - how far do you go?

Subject: Re: Google - how far do you go?
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 15:24:32 -0700

I almost never go past page 1 of results. But I occasionally go down 10, 20 or more pages just to see what the heck could possibly be there. Often it's interesting.

On Wikipedia, I don't see it as dreck in most cases. I go there several times daily for computer industry technical info, acronyms, and lots of other stuff. I also edit pages now and again (it's wonderful to be able to remove from the world an incorrect possessive "it"), and I donate to Wikipedia. My take is that if the subject is reasonably non-controversial, then it's a reasonable reference that covers a wider expanse of topics than any other that I know of. If it's a controversial subject (politics and a few other areas) where you know there's been an endless sh*t-fight over it, I rarely even bother to look.

Mark Giffin
http://markgiffin.com/

On 4/2/14 8:57 PM, John G wrote:

It depends on what I'm searching for, and what I see in the results.

If I'm looking for something specific and/or there are a lot of "sales-y"
results, I'll keep going (max I remember was about 30 pages and I get 25
hits/page...)

If it's generic, a few pages at most ... less than 4 or 5.

I frequently click on likely looking suspects to open them in a new tab,
then I go through them and delete the chaff, keep the kernels of wheat.
Repeat until I get glassy-eyed.

My 2¢,

JG

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

In your normal, everyday interaction with public search engines (Google,
Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc.), for roughly what percentage of search instances do
you bother to look past page 1 of the results?

Why?

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS