Re: More about the changes coming to tech writing

Subject: Re: More about the changes coming to tech writing
From: Helen OBoyle <hoboyle -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 08:40:01 +1000

Kevin,

Yup, same here. I was hired out by the hour to a client as part of a
project at a consulting firm. If I wasn't butt-in-seat, they were losing
$80/hr or so. No way they'd just give up $3200 of income. The way they
saw it, my level of skill didn't matter at all to their income, so there
was no need to upskill me or anything. Yeah, I got out of there (and the
next one, and the next one, and, well, yeah, the next one who thought like
that, too). In my part of the US, there were a lot more cheap
burn-through-em-til-they-leave employers than ones interested in developing
their staff.