Re: Do tech writers write Engineering test reports?

Subject: Re: Do tech writers write Engineering test reports?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Debra Kahn <kahndebra -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:51:16 -0700

If management is expecting you to completely replace the people who
conducted the testing, it's a bad idea even if you do have en engineering
degree.

The engineers and techs are most likely concerned that you are not going to
understand what they're doing and will change the results inadvertently as
a result. Assuming, that is, that they're not worried that losing
territory is going to hurt their employment. You'll need to assure them
that you are supporting them and not the other way around.

Gene Kim-Eng

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Debra Kahn <kahndebra -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I haven't encountered this before. So I am asking if any of you have. Is it
> kosher for a tech writer (experienced but no Engineering degree) to write
> up test reports (internal- and external-facing) for product tests conducted
> by a test tech or test engineer in a lab?
>
> I'm in an awkward situation where upper management expects this, but the
> engineers are questioning it.

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS