Re: Image/screen capture annotations for documentation

Subject: Re: Image/screen capture annotations for documentation
From: Andrew Harvie <withanie -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:03:05 -0300

I see two questions in this thread:
1) A request for suggestions as to best practices for annotating the images
in documentation.
2) A request for information about a tool that will retain text in a vector
format while manipulating the underlying image.

1) For annotation, I've always done it the way that Shawn seems to suggest,
but I'm considering a switch to numbered call-outs instead. (Emphasis on
the word, "considering" in that sentence.) On the pro side, I think it
would make updates easier to manage. I could edit plain old text in the
document instead of within the image. There might be an advantage for
translation too, but that's not an immediate need. On the con side, I
suspect that numbered call-outs will be less user-friendly because the
reader will have to jump back and forth between the image and the
accompanying table of descriptions. Thoughts?

2) If you want vector-based graphics, you have to use a vector-based tool.
Makes sense to me that Adobe integrates that across their products, and
that other HATs don't. I can see two ways to deal with the problem: Scale
first, then add the notes. Use a vector-based editor such as Inkscape.
But, even if I saved the image using a vector format such as SVG, I don't
think that I'd expect to be able to scale the image in Flare or another HAT
and have the font size remain the same. At that point, you're just telling
Flare to make the whole thing bigger or smaller - how is it supposed to
know that parts of what you're scaling need a different treatment than
other parts? Better to get the size right and then plop it into the
document.