"Chinlish" or English?

Subject: "Chinlish" or English?
From: M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:10:26 -0400

Our manuals are written in China. Once we receive them in the US, we send
them to our project team for their comments/edits. One reviewer had the
following comments, among MANY others. I'm wondering what you all think
about them. In your professional opinion, is the original content that
poorly written or do you think it's written well enough to be published?
Do you think that someone from the US would think that if left unchanged,
the manual is in "Chinlish" ? Is this a matter of personal preference or
are they really written poorly? I will add that his comments are holding
up the release of the product.. I will not share my opinion at this time.

1) Patient actions may interfere with oral temperature measurements.
Ingesting
hot or cold liquids, eating food, chewing gum, brushing teeth, smoking, or
performing strenuous activities may affect temperature measurements for up
to 20 minutes after ending the activity.

His suggestion: Should say "Ingesting hot or cold liquids, eating hot or
cold food, chewing gum, brushing teeth, smoking, or
performing strenuous activities may affect temperature measurements.
Ensure that patient refrains from these for
at least 20 minutes before a temperature measurement is made.

2) In the axillary mode, the probe should directly contact the patient?s
skin.

His suggestion: This implies that the probe somehow contacts the patient's
skin (via telephone maybe?). Should be corrected to read
" In the axillary mode, the probe should be in contact with the patient?s
skin"

3) Make sure that the temperature measurement site is correct.
His suggestion: "Ensure that the probe chosen is appropriate for the
measurement site"

Thanks.

Michelle Vina-Baltsas

800 MacArthur Blvd.
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Tel: 201.995.8350
m -dot- vina-baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com

STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l