Re: FW: Getting users to RTFM

Subject: Re: FW: Getting users to RTFM
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:01:10 -0400

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:09:46 -0400, Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca> wrote:

For manufacturing, laminated pages in a flip top manual work best. Even if touch screens are available, the gloves used in heavy machinery makes them impossible to work with.

My wife is now having a similar issue with her new cell phone. Three times it has tried to connect her to the 911 Emergency Number when all she wanted was to call me. It seems that any fumbling will default to calling 911. It's the BOY WHO CRIED WOLF phone, which makes it a true safety hazard. She wants to know how to disable 911. Turns out it's impossible.

I'm curious if anyone has explored the use of Google Glass or Oculus Rift
to display run time reference for manufacturing? That may be an uncharted
territory?

I'd sure investigate the SAFETY HAZARDS of trying to use anything like that. Proper investigation includes of putting on a hard hat and gloves, and going out onto the shop floor with the folks using the equipment, watching them, and talking to them. Often it's inappropriate to read the manual while working. Instead, proper training is required. Think of Army Field Manuals... They're not for use on the battlefield while fighting, but if properly learned, they might keep you alive on the battlefield. "Sarge, I can't field-strip my rifle, because I just lost my Google Glass in the mud."

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l