Rollover TOC displays topics in Flare webhelp?

Subject: Rollover TOC displays topics in Flare webhelp?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 22:48:35 +0000

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to cause Flare webhelp topics to display when you roll over topic headings in the TOC pane?

Typically you have to click on TOC entries and the topic loads and displays in the display pane.

This is a discrete action and seems slow. If I want to find something, I have to separately click on topic headings in the TOC (or in links in a topic) to show another topic.

Maybe you've seen online systems where you roll over the parts of an image and some text appears describing each part as you roll over.

When you do a search on Google sometimes you'll see a site preview for each result, or you roll over an arrow to the right of the result and you'll see a preview of that web site/page.

If I'm rolling my mouse over the list of topics in the TOC pane in Flare, I want the topics to appear and disappear as I'm rolling, so I can quickly scan the content instead of having to do click-load for each item.

It seems like a JavaScript thing and it might mean you have to load the whole help system into a single page, but it seems like there should be an easier way to do it. And I don't mean having the whole topic display in a tooltip, but right there in the display pane where it belongs (right side).

This would give me a way to quickly scan webhelp in the way that you could riffle through a printed book. And if I want something to stay displayed, I can click it to pin it to the display pane. Also, if this is a touch screen, I want to be able to do this scanning behavior as I move my finger over some sort of TOC listing (doesn't have to be Flare output but that would be optimal).

Thanks,

Steve

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l