RE: Large Documents in Word

Subject: RE: Large Documents in Word
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:25:36 +0000

I am fairly sure it crashes often, although I no longer have any large documents in Word. I think my biggest is around 100 pages. Also, they have never fixed their autonumbering problems except to provide a mixed numbering function that doesn't always work that well.

Another recent problem is that I just worked with a coworker on updating a document. She did a lot of the screen shots and used .jpgs, which I usually use .pngs. She also has Outlook 360. I don't know if it was the screen capture format or the mail, but when I mailed her the document to review, half of the screen shots she had sent me were missing. They were actually still in my copy of the document and when I created a PDF of the document, it was still there. Apparently they disappeared during the mailing. Instead of asking me to resend, she just assumed they were missing, so she marked them up in the review instead of asking me to send it again.

In one case, it was clear the screen capture was there because it was half rendered and the rest of it was a black blob.

They also never fixed the problem with using cross-references. If you create a cross-reference to a page that has a page break in front of it, it will sometimes copy in the page break and even if it doesn't have a page break, it will sometimes copy in the entire section cross-referenced. But this problem does not show up when you are working on the document. It only shows up when you print it, thereby creating havoc. I had forgotten about this problem because I try not to use Word if I can help it, so I used regular cross-references and then had a reviewer complain, after she printed an electronic copy, that I kept repeating the same information over and over again.