RE: Large Documents in Word

Subject: RE: Large Documents in Word
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: "'Susan W Gallagher'" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Lynne Wright'" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 08:28:09 -0500

> " Insert graphics from a file"
> - If you mean that in the Insert tab, click Picture, then navigate to
> and select the image, then that's what I've been doing. I'd say that
> leads to a catastrophic crash about 1 in 20 times.
> - "link graphics" ... to what?

I've inserted graphics (JPGs of screenshots, photographs, SolidWorks
drawings, et al.) into documents ranging from 10 to well over 500 pages
using INSERT=>PICTURE and never had one crash. I use Word 2010 and 2013. Not
sure why you were having so may (1 in 20 times). The process I used required
me to insert the images as the servers were located in Germany and I worked
out of my office in New England. I had no control over where the IT people
moved my material as they were constantly "optimizing." Inserting versus
linking saved me a lot of time, but it did create huge files. In other
positions, I had control over where the files were stored and that stability
allowed for linking resulting in smaller file, which in turn results in less
MAGGIEing the file. (Is MAGGIEing a word???)

Al Geist-Geist Arts
Fine Art Photography
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa