Re: Additional roles for technical writers

Subject: Re: Additional roles for technical writers
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 02:01:39 -0600

I've done most of the things Chris and Erica itemized but a few that haven't cropped up are:
mentoring
user interface redesign
testing utility development
creating bills of materials for documentation assemblies (back when there were individual manual sections in 3-ring binders)
building custom displays for trade shows
template development
internal resource for Microsoft Word
VBA development for document automation in Microsoft Word
critic at large

However, many of these functions weren't things I was asked to do... in a lot of cases, I saw that they needed to be done and just went ahead and did 'em. In other cases, I opened my big mouth in a meeting and said something needed to be done and ended up being the one with the task. I generally realize before I say something that it could land on me and when I do speak up it's partially because I'm either willing or anxious to do it because I know I'll do it the right way. That's been the case a number of times with user interface design... "if you're so smart, let's see if you can come up with something better."

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr, Writer
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 12/24/2014 4:06 PM, Craig Cardimon wrote:

Hello and Merry Christmas, Whirlers!

My manager told me he was pleased with how I've been doing, but that he would like to get me involved even more with the company.

In your own experience, what kinds of corporate "chores" have you been asked to apply your skills to as technical communicators?

I'll Google around on my own too, and see what I can come up with.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa