Re: Resume styles

Subject: Re: Resume styles
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 12:41:29 -0800

OK. Sometimes interviewers make decisions about writers based on reasons
that for one reason or another they just don't want to share. Here are some
examples of reasons, ranging from legitimate to illegal:

- Someone within the company discovered that a writer with whom they
have previous experience is available and they want to hire that writer (I
think this is legitimate and when a hiring manager has shared this
information with me it made sense to me, however some people would make
excuses rather than honestly share this reason).
- Someone thought that they could open a requisition and weren't able to
do so.
- A requisition that was open got closed (they might really need a
writer and want to wait a good six months or more so that they can use the
money elsewhere until the pain of bad writing starts to have an impact on
customer satisfaction).
- Someone on the team thinks that the writer is not a good fit for the
team (this can be, but is not always a legitimate reason).
- A writer's experience looks good but their writing samples are not
seen as being like what the company needs (depending on the details this
can be a legitimate reason, or it can be a result of the interviewer not
understanding how the writer responded to audience needs).
- The writer came in for an interview and is older than expected, so an
excuse is fabricated (this is what I meant by illegal).

I'm certain that many of you have seen scenarios like this. :-)