RE: Where are the limits of Business Requirements Documents / SoftwareRequirements Specifications?

Subject: RE: Where are the limits of Business Requirements Documents / SoftwareRequirements Specifications?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:42:42 -0500

Uwe Ziegenhagenasked about the limits of Business Requirements Documents /
SoftwareRequirements Specifications?; "....A few colleagues argued that BRDs
not only define the business' requirements but also what the solution (which
the BRD describes) will provide.
For me a BRD describes the requirements (even the name says so), not the
actual deliverables. To define what the actual deliverables for ths BRD are,
other documents such as design specifications (from the software vendor)
must be prepared and discussed with the business.
______________________________________
Uwe:
I agree with your interpretation. Once the business has defined the problem,
and created a BRD for a solution, they can request proposals from vendors
(or their own engineering or product development department). Then they can
begin evaluating concepts and creating more detailed Product Requirements
(PRD) specification documents. The SDLC training program I attended defined
a series of requirements documents for a multi-phase development program. I
attached a copy, which Uwe will probably receive, but it was bounced from
the TECWR-L distribution list. I'll forward a copy to anyone who wants one.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015