RE: Upload versus download

Subject: RE: Upload versus download
From: Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:38:36 +0000

Chris Morton wrote:

> As we all know, one uploads a file from a PC or similar device to a
> server.
> If a resource exists on a server, it is downloaded to the PC (or
> similar device).

Ok, but "upload" doesn't simply mean "away from a PC", and download
doesn't simply mean "toward a PC".

> John living in his own siloed/silo'd world, everythingâincluding his
> GUIâis PLC-centric. Therefore, one uploads binaries *from* the PLC
> to the PC for editing/viewing, then can *download* them back to the
> PLC.
>
> These two terms, upload and download, are used in a way that's
> counter-intuitive to the rest of us who understand the PCâserver
> relationship.

I've been uploading data from small embedded devices to PCs, and
downloading files back to the devices from PCs, for decades. John's
usage is certainly not counterintuitive to me, and it might be
equally familiar to John's customers. You might want to ask.

> It's one thing for me to make the changes in the manual, but
> retooling the GUI is a far bigger kettle of fish that will likely
> meet with much resistance.

If you do make changes, consider replacing "upload" and "download"
with "transfer" followed by an explicit direction.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - San Jose, CA
Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015