Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "carolyn223 palo" <carolynpalo -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 23:11:11 -0400

While I have a couple of laptops, I am currently working with a desktop at work. It is an HP with 24 processors. I think there is 24 GB of RAM. The monitor video board has provisions for four monitors but I am only running two. It has space for 4 more internal drives, which is not a bad idea since external USB drives seem to have a useful life usually not exceeding 5 years, but internal drives seem to last longer. Stuff a couple of internals in and mirror them to keep a solid backup of files so you never lose anything. Of course, a virus could potentially still get you.

Unfortunately, it is useless for meetings, since it is far too much trouble to unplug, lug to the meeting room and set back up.

If you are going to be working in one fixed location, consider the desktop. Of course, like I said, my personal and previous work computers have been laptops for the last 15 years.

If you go with the laptop, get the newest, biggest, fastest, most RAM, and largest hard drive you can get. Many suggest get the standard one and add RAM and larger hard drive on your own, but really, most never do increase them. Many feel intimidated trying to open one to change that. So in some ways, it is worth the extra cost of buying it done rather than reworking it yourself.

Make sure you have the newest operating system. Windows 10, for good or bad, will be the standard much longer than 8.1, so be sure the laptop has it or will run it.

Besides, in a month, it is probably going to be semi-obsolete. If you buy a lesser laptop, or one a year of so old, it is going to be an antique doorstop in a year. Do you really want that?

(As I type from my doorstop Lenovo T61 with XP Pro, roughly 8 years old.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "carolyn223 palo" <carolynpalo -at- gmail -dot- com>