Re: [External] Re: What's the benefit in getting a PMP certification in project management?

Subject: Re: [External] Re: What's the benefit in getting a PMP certification in project management?
From: Debra Kahn <kahndebra -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "O Neill, Jennifer BIS" <Jennifer -dot- ONeill -at- fs -dot- utc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 12:56:20 -0600

Hi Jen,
I am a PMP and a tech writer. Having a PMP certification not only enables
me to better organize larger tech writing projects - using the same
terminology and methodology that product development project managers use -
but also to better understand any tasks assigned to me by one of the PD
PMs. Thus it helps facilitate communication and common understanding both
ways.

I think you missed a bit of Tony's point in his response back to you, To
achieve PMP certification, you must, among other things, demonstrate a that
you have a certain number of hours of actual project management experience
(I forget the exact number). Sounds as though you've already met that
criteria for certification. So why not go for it?

Regarding costs, initially there is the cost of PMI membership, any
test-prep coursework (I took a course through a local university), and the
application fee/test fee. To maintain your PMP certification, you must
attain 60 PDUs every 3 years and then pay a fee to renew. Here in Colorado,
you can attain 20 hours of PDUs every year just by attending all 10 chapter
meetings (2 PDUs per meeting). Yes, we have to pay for those 2 PDUs
($25-$35 per meeting), but, hey, the meetings include dinner and social
time, and the speakers are generally really good. In addition, you can earn
up to 5 PDUs every year just be being a practicing project/program manager
(that amounts to free credits!).Plus the local chapter offers all sorts of
(fee-based) workshops and seminars for PDU credit. There are lots of
additional ways to earn PDUs - like reading a book (our local chapter has a
free lending library). So I don't really consider the cost of maintaining
my PMP to be overly high. But that's probably just me.

Hope this helps,
Deb Kahn

*Debra Kahn**, MA, PMP, CA-AM*
debra -at- dk-consulting -dot- co *or *kahndebra -at- gmail -dot- com
Business: 970-541-0888
http://dk-consulting.co
Twitter: @dkconsultco