RE: Large Flare projects (2,000+ pages)

Subject: RE: Large Flare projects (2,000+ pages)
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 00:59:38 +0000

If I can elaborate a little more, on a suggestion from offlist...

We're already using Flare v11, and are pretty solid users. However, nothing quite this scale, although these manuals were produced to this scale in earlier versions of Flare (beginning with, I believe, v6, and carried through at least until v9 and maybe v10).

We faced our first challenge and solved it ourselves, after much research (MadCap Forums, web, etc.), with a much smaller glitch remaining (fixed about 2/3 or more of the problem), and Support indicated (today) that the solution we're looking for is outside their scope, and they have no easy solution within Flare.

Personally I can't help getting the feeling that once you get up to this size of a project, you might be better off in a DITA system, a real CCMS. But, maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like a lot of things could go wrong in a project of this magnitude.

That's what I was wondering from this group, if anybody is working with these massive projects and feels, "Oh yeah, as long as you're careful, no problem," or "Yeah, it can be done well, but we decided to port to ___ and are having a much easier time of it."

Not necessarily looking to switch solutions, and that might not be feasible, but just want to get a sense of what the collective wisdom is about Flare and huge projects.

Hope that's a little more specific.

Thanks,

Steve

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:48 PM, Steve Janoff wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is doing very large Flare projects - especially webhelp that, when printed to PDF, comes out to 2,000 or more pages.

Any particular issues you're having?

How is it going in general?

I have inherited several projects of this scale, and just want to get a sense of what I could be in for.

Thanks,

Steve

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW