RE: Business Glossary

Subject: RE: Business Glossary
From: Rochelle McAndrews <rmcandrews -at- csiu -dot- org>
To: 'wondersofone' <wondersofone -at- gmail -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L Writing' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:35:06 -0400

Basically, do what is suitable for your information consumers.

Our glossary needs are simple, for internal use (not client-facing), and not mired in legalities. Support documents are maintained on a server to which support staff have access, so I link to the central glossary from other support documents. Staff can easily click the glossary link to open a read-only PDF.

Several instances of the same initialisms/acronyms have dual meanings depending on our software context. It's important that our staff are aware of the differences in definition when clients have support needs, so I include each meaning as a separate record. For example:

Term Software Meaning

LOA Human Resources Contextual: Leave of Absence

LOA Financial Systems Contextual: Level of Approval

Keep in mind the users' needs, and whenever possible, get their reviews/input.

Rochelle McAndrews