Re: Learning XML

Subject: Re: Learning XML
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:28:51 -0700

What is your contract position that is related to XML? Are you a .Net programmer? Are you a tech writer who will use an XML-based authoring system? Are you a Python programmer who needs to work with XML-based web services? There is a vast number of uses for XML.

That said, Beginning XML by Fawcett, Quin and Ayers is a late-model book that covers many modern uses of XML, with a focus on programming. I think it's excellent and comprehensive.

Alan Houser's XML Weekend Crash Course is a good book but I think it's at least 10 years old and many things have changed in the world of XML although the basics should still be pretty good. The book has a good focus for a tech writer, but I know programmers who have also gotten useful info out of it.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.

On 9/3/2015 7:50 PM, R D wrote:

Hi All-

I'm trying to get up to speed in XML for a new contract position. Is there a book or process I could follow that would expedite this? I know there are free tutorials online. Where should I start?

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) |

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) |

Learning XML: From: R D