Re: Must documentation always follow the UI?

Subject: Re: Must documentation always follow the UI?
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:34:50 -0500

It's not always all about task-based documentation. There is a time and place for reference documentation. At some point, users need to be able to understand every UI element even when we don't provide them with documentation for a task that uses that particular element.

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 2015-09-23 2:26 pm, John G wrote:

I try not to build a monument to the UI if I can possibly avoid it. The UI
exists in the code - why does it have to be reiterated in the documentation?

If you're writing task based content, just tell them how to use the UI -
Click "Abercrombie" to order high-markup clothes for preppies - but you
don't have to recount how and in what order things are organized on the
page - they can see that.

And if you are presenting the contents of the page, for example, as links
to more information, I'd take a stab at listing the ones most likely to be
used first, and the ones least likely to be used last.

tldr; Don't describe the page in words, and consider what the user is doing
with the page and cater to their needs.

My 2Â,

JG
Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW