RE: Chapter first page always recto?

Subject: RE: Chapter first page always recto?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 17:07:00 -0500

Gene Kim-Eng added a caveat for having different pagination for printed and
online PDF versions: "Give careful consideration if you contemplate having
different pagination for printed and PDF versions of the same doc,
especially if you are not using numbered paragraphs. Sooner or later, there
will come a time when a user viewing the PDF is attempting to coordinate
remotely with a user with a printed manual, and they will not be able to
sync their places by page number. Might only be a minor annoyance...unless
the users are attempting to perform emergency medical procedures or diagnose
an in-flight engine failure.
Gene and Nancy:
I deal with this by having chapter-based pagination. All front matter pages
have lowercase roman numerals, and sections or chapter have 1-1, 2-1, etc.,
and if there is an appendix A-1, or A1-1, A2-1, or A-1, B-1, C-1 for
multiple appendices. Except for very large documents with numerous tables
and figures, I usually just number tables and illustrations sequentially. In
major reference documents, I have added chapter-based numbering : Table 1-1,
Figure 2-1, Table 3-1, or whatever. If there are more than a few of either,
I add lists of tables and figures to the front matter. Regardless of
whether there are blank pages at the ends of chapters, the page numbers
match. YMMV.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA