Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?

Subject: Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
From: John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tritech -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 14:57:39 -0500

Further research (something someone sent me) has turned up the Microsoft UX
Style Guide which uses "rotating triangle". I'll go with that for now.

And ... accordion was never a possibility, especially since the guy who
suggested it had no idea who Myron Floren was.



Thanks ... and keep 'em coming!


JG

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tritech -dot- com>
wrote:

> Yeah... "twist control" and "accordion" would make no sense to the average
> person.
>
> And most people by now know what the triangle icon is for.
>
> But if I had to include the action in a procedure, I'd go with: "Click the
> triangle to display options" or "Click the triangle to expand the section"
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+lynne -dot- wright=tritech -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+lynne -dot- wright=tritech -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
> Behalf Of Robert Lauriston
> Sent: December-08-15 2:41 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
>
> I probably wouldn't refer to it at all. Knowing how to expand things is
> assumed knowledge for most audiences.
>
> If for some reason I had to call it something, if the control had a
> tooltip, I'd use that name. If no tooltip, I'd look at the alt text for the
> image. Barring that, I'd probably say "expand the whatsit by clicking the
> triangle icon," or if being verbose to make up for a particularly confusing
> UI, maybe use a triangle dingbat.
>
> I'd never use "twist control" or "accordion."
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM, John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com> wrote:
> > Many web sites these days use a triangle-shaped icon ... click it, and
> > it rotates 90 degrees to display something (text, links, etc.) that
> > was previously hidden.
> >
> > I call them "twist controls" but one of my SMEs says they are "accordion"
> > controls.
> >
> > What do my fellow tech whirlers refer to these as?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lynne -dot- wright -at- tritech -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as vwritert -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | http://techwhirl.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

References:
What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?: From: John G
Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?: From: Robert Lauriston
RE: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?: From: Lynne Wright

Previous by Author: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
Next by Author: Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
Previous by Thread: RE: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads