Re: Blurring the line between writer and engineer

Subject: Re: Blurring the line between writer and engineer
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 23:42:46 -0500

Rick Lippincott asks about hardware and software writers getting into the domain of engineers.

As a software writer in a writing group encouraged by the great book _Developing Quality Technical Information_ to take ownership of âall the wordsâ in HW and SW interfaces, I am beginning to see a blurring of my role from writing doc and help into GUI design, or at least the words therein. For the product Iâm working on, embedded assistance, which can include hints in fields and prompts on a screen, are part of the source code, and by suggesting wording Iâm essentially contributing to the programming effort.

So yes, itâs happening. Furthermore, I think itâs a positive development. Words is words. And while some say that no one reads the manual, and some even say no one uses the help, no one can say that they donât use the GUI!

â Steve

ââ
Steven Jong
mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
Mobile: 978-413-2553
Home sweet home page: StevenJong.net

âReading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.ââFrancis Bacon