Re: Leading and Bleeding Edge?

Subject: Re: Leading and Bleeding Edge?
From: Sean Brierley <sean -dot- brierley -at- gerbertechnology -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:03:18 -0500

So, I teach for a traditional B&M 4-year uni. I was in the classroom but
got moved online. The thought about server-based virtual classrooms is a
good one, and I would like to see it, but the approach is not that ... far
sighted and is held back by ... state budgets and resources. That is, I
struggle to get my students to use our Blackboard portal, such as it is
(uuugh, difficult user experience there), and there are no, none, zippo,
zilch online resources for tech support for students (other than videos),
and vague, part-time-ish resources for teachers. An investment needed to
raise the kind of strong infrastructure to really make online schooling
sing and dance is ... a wee bit off on the horizon. :(

That said, taking classes like mine, online is definitely a good, strong
step in the right direction. And while falling into it, or giving it a
whirl, as it seems we have done, is perhaps not the best approach, it does
have the advantage of getting the ball rolling.

Still, back to the topic, decentralizing the classroom like this means that
seats of Flare are not available, as they would have been if I were still
on campus teaching in the computer lab.

And, yes, creating documentation for YouTube is a particularly good
approach for some products and projects. :D

Cheers,

Sean

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Daniel Friedman <daniel -dot- friedman42 -at- gmail -dot- com