Re: Technical Writing in the Medical Device Industry

Subject: Re: Technical Writing in the Medical Device Industry
From: Keith Mahoney <kamahoney1965 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Naomi L Burnett <burn1729 -at- fredonia -dot- edu>, List,Ã Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Keith Mahoney <kamahoney1965 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:32:44 -0800

Naomi -

Building on what others have said thus far (apart from the Regs
some of the things that I think might help.

1) If you have UX at your company - utilize them. I had a few of them on my
team and we did things such as field trials, in-house trails, and blind
studies to observe how our users would interact with our product. This
allowed us to tailor our documentation, software, and UI to our target
audience -- the elderly.

2.) Use a Fog Index to determine your readers level of understanding -
again, we had specific audiences and so we wanted to ensure that they were
able to understand the content - I had to fight regarding this one because
engineers *sometimes* think everyone understands their level of
communication.

3.) If you are going global, get a good translation service - Machine
translation is never as good or, do as I did and ask for native speakers to
review your materials - thus you save $$.

4.) If you are not a PM - become one quick. You'll have a lot to balance
and creating, driving, and maintaining schedules is key to any publication
project - IMHO. Also, partner with the PMs in your org. If you are a PM,
then I would adopt whatever style they are using to drive projects.

5.) Seriously, recognize the people you work with - far too often folks do
not take the time to recognize others work and it can be demoralizing. I
would encourage you to do offsites after a big push!

6.) If you can get end users to provide testimonials regarding your work,
that helps with end-year review. However, I also got our Nursing staff to
provide feedback to the team and let them know that what they were doing
made a big impact on peoples lives - this help during times of crazy
deliverables.

I could go on; every situation is different, right.... Hope these nuggets
help.

KAM