Configuration Guides

Subject: Configuration Guides
From: "Stuckey, Ginger" <X2BVSHEW -at- SOUTHERNCO -dot- COM>
To: "TechWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 18:47:34 +0000

Hi All,

The company I work for is going through a huge software change. After much noise-making, the tech writers are involved in all training, requirements gather, and configuration sessions. For various reasons, we are not sure what kind of we will create. One thing we do know is the project manager absolutely needs configuration guides because there is some customization required. Installation guides are separate so this is only configuration.
The following list is what I think should go into the guide, not including scope and stuff like that.

* Description of configured item.

* Affected databases.

* How to configure the item. (Even if it is in an Admin module?)

* List of configured data or link to a document if the list is long.

Should configuration change management be included?
What am I leaving out of this document?

Ginger Stuckey
Technical Writer - Design

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |