Re: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"

Subject: Re: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:57:08 -0700

I'm in Sacramento, CA, and the market here has been challenged and stressful. There are so few jobs and so much competition for each job. I look at DICE when I want to see how Sacramento compares to other areas. The state just started hiring and sending out RFPs and such. This is the fourth quarter for the state, so maybe they are just looking to spend the last part of last year's budget so they don't lose it next year. For now, though, the market has started jumping a little but it is still bad.

https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=technical+writer

Not every search result is a technical writer but DICE provides a good gauge for the market. The results within 30 miles of each location I searched today follow.

Portland, OR / 625
San Jose, CA / 2265
Los Angeles, CA / 1615
Sacramento, CA / 340

Many of the job postings that I see are duplicates of other job postings and I have applied to many of them, only to see them return later. I wonder if some of these job postings are not real.

If I could afford to move to a better market, I would.

On 3/21/2016 12:38 PM, Ealasaid Haas wrote:

De-lurking to say: I'm a tech writer with 10 years of experience, and since I posted my resume online a couple weeks ago, I've had calls from a handful of recruiters with technical writing gigs for me to apply to. I've also found a bunch of places to apply listed on various sites. I'm in Portland, OR, which has WAY fewer companies than Silicon Valley (where I grew up and got most of my experience) and is just plain smaller, even if you add in Beaverton and Hillsboro. I dunno what's happening elsewhere, but up here things are pretty good for tech writers. :)

-Ealasaid