RE: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"

Subject: RE: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:59:50 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> The key distinction in this discussion is not when people first started
"doing what we do."
> It is when people first started being employed /primarily/ to do it; when,
"you built that,
> you document it," first turned into, "we need to hire someone to document
that."

Is it though? Are we more interested in the art and craft of technical
communication or are we more interested in jobs for tech writers?

And these are very far from being the only roles who are asked to do
technical communication. Training, product management, sales support, sales,
sales engineering, business analysis, design, technical support are all
roles that do substantial amount of technical communication. Doctors,
lawyers, and technicians of all kinds similarly do a substantial amount of
technical communication.

Do we care about the field, or do we only care about the job?

Mark