RE: What happened to information architecture and design

Subject: RE: What happened to information architecture and design
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Janoff, Steven'" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <th -at- tino-haida -dot- de>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:49:35 -0400

Oh, I don't see diametric opposition here. You say:

"I'm saying technical communicators can achieve an effective conveyance of
information -- teaching of sorts -- without succumbing to the curse of
knowledge."

I agree. In fact, this is central to everything that I believe about being a
great communicator. A great communicator is not a wizard with words or one
with perfect grammar. A great communicator is one who understands and can
effectively combat the curse of knowledge. One of the key reasons that I
believe strongly in structured writing and its power to improve content is
that subject domain structures can encapsulate -- partly -- some of the
things we discover from combating the curse of knowledge and connecting with
our readers, helping the great communicator be great consistently, and the
less effective communicator be more effective.

But there are limits to this. We can overcome the curse of knowledge, but
not the paradox of sense making. That is unique to each reader and each
reader's burden to bear. I agree that it is possible to have wonderful
information experiences, moments when some piece of writing opens up the
world to you. And the work of great communicators that is far more likely to
provoke those moment in you.

But I would also point out that those moments do not come at the same time
and in the same way for every reader. We may have many readers agreeing that
a certain writer is a great communicator who gives those marvelous moments
of enlightenment. But other readers will disagree, will find that writer
opaque or pedantic, or dull. Just read a few reviews on almost any book on
amazon or elsewhere and you will see this pattern.

Those great moments of enlightenment come when a mind with the right
preparation meets a great piece of writing. They occur when a mind that has
overcome almost all the paradox of sense making meets an piece of writing
that has overcome the curse of knowledge. And those moment of enlightenment
are so powerful, so wonderful, that we tend to credit the text with almost
supernatural power of exposition. They have the power and the wonder of a
first kiss.

But we are never going to get universal agreement on which content produces
that moment because that moment requires the prepared mind as much as it
requires the great content. It is also why those wonderful moments of
enlightenment grow fewer as we age, and why if we go back to the works we
loved in childhood they often, though not always, fail to provide the same
thrill on second reading. If you had come to that content a little earlier
in your development, you would not have been ready for it and would have
found it opaque. If you had come by a different route, you might a found
your enlightenment in a different work. And if you had, and then encountered
the work the delivered enlightenment, you might well have found it obvious
and dull. Only one kiss can ever be your first kiss.

Think of it this way. We tell stories by using language (or images) that
evoke other stories. The success of communication depends on the other
person instantly recognizing the stories we refer to. If you have to tell
those stories explicitly, you tell them using words to evoke other stories.
It is an entirely fractal process. But words don't always evoke the same
stories in different people. So we here a story and we understand it
differently from what the writer intended because the words they used evoked
different stories for us. Herein lies the cause of most arguments, and the
reason why conversation is often a more satisfactory form or communication
than a book.

So the curse of knowledge consists in assuming that your words will always
evoke the same stories in everyone, and conquering the curse of knowledge
means recognizing that they will not, and choosing different words or
telling the underlying stories in full to better communicate to a particular
audience.

The paradox of sense making consists in seeing the world in terms of a set
of stories that don't match the task you are attempting and the content you
are reading. You have to go find the stories you are missing, and at first
you are not even sure which you are missing or where you might find them.

A great communicator can reach more people more effectively by telling the
right stories in the right words to reach an audience with a particular
background. At the same time, they can't unpack and explicitly tell every
story in the fractal pyramid of stories on which every story rests because
such content would be exhaustingly, if not infinitely, long. A fifty page
recipe for Duck a la Orange that unpacked every technique and assumption in
the normal recipe would be unusable for both for the novice and the expert
cook. There is a limit to who even the greatest of content can reach.

And that is the virtue of hypertext, because it can allow the reader to
prepare themselves for the moment of enlightenment, and then present to them
the content that will deliver enlightenment to them once they are prepared
for it. This absolutely requires great writers who can overcome the curse of
knowledge, and that includes overcoming it by designing an information
architecture that works for the person who is still preparing themselves for
the moment of enlightenment.

And why does so much communication theory fall by the wayside? In part it
may be because the theory itself was infected with the curse of knowledge.
In large partly it is because the theory did not in itself solve the curse
of knowledge, and so the attempt to follow it was infected by the curse of
knowledge and did not produce consistently superior results, causing it to
be abandoned. The fault may not have been in the theory but in the
execution, but the result is the same. If the attempt to use the theory does
not result in demonstrably superior results, even for reasons unrelated to
the theory itself, then it does not deliver consistent results in the real
world.

In many ways, I think, these theories tended to solve the easy part of the
problem. They modeled the things you would do if you did not suffer from the
curse of knowledge. They were not wrong. But the attempt to follow their
patterns, without actually conquering the curse of knowledge, does not
produce good results.

My own approach to structured writing will, of course, be subject to the
same forces. But I don't pretend it can make the mediocre communicator
great. I claim that it can make the great communicator, and the great
communication teams, more consistent, and enable them to improve the
performance of those they work with. It can't and won't overcome the curse
of knowledge all by itself.

Mark