Re: Friday OT: Adobe Guru wanted in Kauai

Subject: Re: Friday OT: Adobe Guru wanted in Kauai
From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 12:05:09 +0800

I just need to know: is it the sort of buttoned-down yuppie workplace
where they make you put on footwear to come in to the office?

About the time difference: it can actually work pretty well. I came
home from England in the middle of a project and finished off the
contract from home. The time difference was 8 hours, which seems a
lot, but you just adjust your working day a little and take advantage
of whatever overlap there is to speak or chat to colleagues in real
time. I would work by myself during the day, nearly always remember to
pick the kids up from school at 3.30 pm, then my UK contacts would
start appearing on IM from about 4-5 pm.

You just have to work in more of a 'batch' mode. In your morning, deal
with any emails, review comments or info dumps that came in overnight.
Schedule a call to deal with anything best handled in person. Send
emails and drafts at the end of your day for your colleagues to tackle
when they start work.

More recently I've worked with people on the east coast of the US.
That's a 12-hour difference and it can be a real collaboration-killer.

--- Stuart