RE: Statistical analysis

Subject: RE: Statistical analysis
From: Doug Grossman <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:16:45 +0000

The only way I can think of to get around that would be to have folks who are interested in being part of the study "self-report" about their gender to you in the background. The assumption there would be that if someone was bothering to do that, they would have motivation to be truthful about their gender in order to have a successful analysis (on top of the underlying assumption that most people on a professional list such as this would be honest, hardworking folks in the first place).

The downside there is that if you whittle it down to the number of people who are willing to provide their genders to you and who are willing to take the time to do so might leave you with a much smaller number of overall participants. So it would be a matter of having more certainty about a smaller number of people versus having less certainty about a larger population.