Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?

Subject: Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?
From: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:37:49 -0500

I didn't see any given reason for your stance in your post, so I have to
wonder, why do you want to do it? What benefit would there be to you or
your documentation group or the company you work for, from allowing Google
to search for it? If it would not bring you extra money or some kind of
business advantage, then there's no point in bothering.

I saw something in a later post about your customers going to Stack
Overflow for answers if they can't find your help on the Web. If they are
your customers, they should have gotten your documentation when they bough
your product, and their lack is not a Web problem, but a sales/release
management problem. If you're worried about them going to that web site,
the answer is to make sure your customers get the help when they cut a deal.

If they aren't "customers" in the sense that they haven't bought the
product, then they have no real reason to need to be able to access the
help online. Somebody earlier used the analogy of building a catalytic
convertor from reading a car user manual. Here's another automotive analogy
- why should a tech writer for Toyota care if Buick owners can read Toyota
docs online?