Sickening stuff from Engineers

Subject: Sickening stuff from Engineers
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Steve Hudson <sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:09:33 -0700


I don't think the comment you made will elicit the level of respect for the
technical writing field you hoped to achieve. First, you say "hire a
technical writing" instead of either "technical writer" or "technical
writing specialist". Next, the bitter tone of your comment will do nothing
to improve the public perception of our practitioners as professionals, and
will serve to build walls between know-it-all information design blowhards
and the other practitioners with whom we desire partnership.

I gained insight from the article in how designers approach type. Engineers
like their separate boxes, but designers often suggest uses which require
positioning outside the box.

If I have any objection to the piece, it's that using pixels to measure
typefaces instead of points suggests that measurements are precise instead
of relative. For instance, a font is measured from the top of the ascenders
to the bottom of the descenders. Typographers using points understand the
baseline could fall anywhere, and will work to align the baselines when
different typefaces are mixed. However, the concept of pixels (to me)
suggests perfect boxes, even though that won't be the case.

Is there's any reason for the two font usages to measure differently, it's
because the baseline and the x-height of the fonts are different. (Font is
a specific size and variant of a typeface. That could have been explained

But overall, teaching engineers that designers don't position with boxes
but use boxes to guide the visible portions of type is not a bad thing at
all, and doesn't warrant the type of comment you left.


On Sunday, 28 August 2016, Steve Hudson <sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com');>> wrote:

> f891#.h6obkxudm
> Of course, I couldn't read that without a comment.
> To you guys, I will say this. This link contains high macabre comedy
> regarding how an engineer approaches typography. I need medicating
> urgently.
> Steve Hudson
> Word Heretic
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Sickening stuff from Engineers: From: Steve Hudson
RE: Sickening stuff from Engineers: From: Wright, Lynne
RE: Sickening stuff from Engineers: From: mbaker
Re: Sickening stuff from Engineers: From: Jonathan Baker

Previous by Author: Re: What did you do? (Why standards exist)
Next by Author: RE: salary history - can't ask in Mass. now
Previous by Thread: Re: Sickening stuff from Engineers
Next by Thread: RE: Sickening stuff from Engineers

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads