Re: Friday question: What's your favourite manager comment?

Subject: Re: Friday question: What's your favourite manager comment?
From: Carter Campbell <lists -at- soph-text -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 19:03:08 -0600

I've had more than a few. Some are similar to what others have posted. How about:

* "Why do you bother to write documents, no one reads them?"
* "All you really do is pretty up our work anyway, so don't waste time
on the other stuff."
* "I can probably write better than you, but I don't have time." Or, a
variation, "I can write as good as you, but I don't have the time."
* "I'm your new manager. We all drew straws and I lost." (this was
said in all seriousness)
* "How fast can you type?"
* "Do you know how to use a computer?" (This was asked by an HR dude
who had printed off my resume from an email I had sent him.)

Of course, there's others, but I'll stop now, 'cause I'm getting depressed. After 30+ years of this, I'm thinking a career change is in order. Something that garners more respect and has more job stability, like dinner theatre acting. I'm sure that most of you probably have lived through this kind of disdain.

Subdued Cheers.

Carter

"Don't ask who the audience is--you don't need to know. Just document
everything and I'll decide what will be delivered to whom in which format."

"I'm not going to micromanage you or hold your hand. I won't approve your
invoices unless you email me at the end of each day with an hour-by-hour
work log that shows me how you spent your time, what you accomplished, and
what you'll do tomorrow."

"The engineers are too busy to answer your questions. We can't give you
access to the current build or the source code either. However, these are
not blocking issues. Just stop complaining and write the documentation."

"The engineers already wrote the docs. All you need to do is make them look
better."

My inner reaction to these comments? "Grrr.....arrrrrgh..."

--
Carter Campbell
Technical Communications