Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 00:55:22 -0700

On 9/6/2016 6:53 PM, Janoff, Steven wrote:

You know, I'm not sure how this thread got so far afield, although it could be because of a certain vagueness on my part, for which I apologize.

All skills are vague. Skills are only specific to positions. You need to look at the requirements of a position and then look at how you can meet or help meet those requirements. If the position is yours, then you need to look at what you can do to satisfy the requirements of the position. If the position belongs to someone you want to help, like an executive, then you need to look at the requirements of the executive and match up what you do with what that executive needs to accomplish. My bullet point was an example of that sort of match up. When writing, you need to know your audience and write for your audience. When supporting another position, you need to know what that position needs to do and align your support to that position. That is not afield, as you say, it is on point to a support position.

I guess I'm trying to get at what a skill really is. Not only the word is bandied about but the actual skills are.

Skills are nothing without context.

What is skill and what skills do I possess, by virtue of having had a long career as a Technical Writer? And how are these skills applicable to other aspects of the work at hand.

You have a lot of skills. All of these skills can be fleshed out by the context of goals. There are many directions your skills can go and many skills you have that you have not identified, until you have the context of a position or a goal, you will never fully realize the skills that you have to reach that position or goal.