RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)

Subject: RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:28:10 -0400

I've actually implemented EPPO in some pretty heavily regulated
environments. But obviously it depends on the nature of the regulations.
Where regulations dictate information design, they are almost certain to
dictate document-oriented information designs because document-orientation
is still so heavily enculturated. That is a problem that needs to be
addressed at the regulatory level.

I didn't address translation in the EPPO book because the book is about
information design, not process. A company may well decide to compromise
information design for the sake of cost savings in reuse and translation. In
fact, it seems to be a common choice, particularly with DITA
implementations, though it is by no means certain that the companies doing
it realize that they are compromising information design.

But whether that happens or not, consciously or not, I believe a book on
information design should stick to information design.

I suppose someone could choose to write a book saying, OK, if you insist on
compromising information design to maximize reuse, here's how you can do the
least damage. But I'm not interested in writing that book.

Incidentally, do think EPPO is a very inexpensive information design to
implement (with the right tools), because of its loosely coupled nature.
This allows you to produce content at a very even pace with relatively
little overhead, which tends to make for a very efficient process. I think
tech comm tends to look for cost savings in the wrong places. The
implementation and maintenance costs, combined with the productivity drain
on writers, for complex CCMS style reuse are huge burden on the balance
sheet that usually requires the multiplier of translation savings to make
cost effective. There are many less elaborate ways to reduce costs.

Mark