RE: What would you do?

Subject: RE: What would you do?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 01:51:42 +0000

I agree with everyone that it sounds unscrupulous on the face of it.

Having said that, though, it really depends on how easy or difficult these skills are to pick up.

SharePoint administrator is not rocket science, and InfoPath I'm guessing you could pick up in a few days with hitting the books and the Web and downloading trial versions of Office if you don't already have it.

So it depends on the particular half-dozen skills, the level of expertise they want, how good the job is, and how badly you want it.

It's conceivable that you could become passably skilled at using all of the tools before you walk into the interview.

But if they want 3 years of DITA and a component CMS, then that's a different story.

If the recruiter didn't address this kind of thing (shoring up your skills as opposed to just telling you to add them to your resume), then that's irresponsible and I'd run.

Steve

On Wednesday, February 08, 2017 11:12 AM, Keith Hood wrote:

I have been corresponding with a recruiting firm about a possible job as a SharePoint administrator, and they asked me to change my resume. The job description includes some things that I have never worked with, such as Infopath. The recruiter asked me to edit my resume to show experience with about half a dozen things I've never done, to match things in the description, and email him that new version.

I won't say what I've done or not done - I'm interested in your thoughts about it.