RE: Certifications

Subject: RE: Certifications
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Jonathan Baker" <jbaker2525 -at- gmail -dot- com>, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 01:40:43 +0000

Now we're getting warm -- thank you so much, Jon! Those are very good.

Another thought is that lately I've developed an interest in data management -- I don't know if that's what you call it, but part of that is about version control of documentation content. (Could be any content, I suppose.)

So are there certifications in data management (if that's even the right term), content management, enterprise content management, web content management, and the like?

I'm aware that there is Google and one does a search on Google. The filter I cannot apply there is "your knowledge and experience," unless I limit the search to techwhirl and assuming the information has already been posted (I'm addressing this to the group, not to you, Jon).

Thanks again for any help. I like the W3C ones since I've already got experience in all of those that you list. MS would be good too. (Thanks again, Jon!)

Steve

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:28 PM, Jonathan Baker wrote:

What about W3C certs in HTML/XML/CMS and others like JavaScript? I know that there are others in the same vein.

Or Microsoft offers a certification for MS Office. I know it may sound silly, but a lot of the world still lives and dies by MS Word, etc.

Jon

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 7:56 PM Janoff, Steven <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com> wrote:
To make it even clearer (or muddier), I'm looking for certs *other* than tech writing-specific certs (like STC) that would enhance a tech writer's profile.

This is not for marketability purposes, necessarily. (That's a bonus but not a requirement.)

What would add prestige appearing after one's name? Obviously MD, JD, and CPA are not what we're talking about here (nor MBA, although that's a good one -- but that's a degree, and I'm looking for certifications).

Thanks,

Steve

PS - PMP would qualify but I'm talking about other than those too.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:30 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

The STC certification might be useful in finding candidates with a high tolerance for boredom. The book they use is preposterously low-level.