Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?

Subject: Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:14:14 -0400

I just went through that X business with a client.

Note that there is an actual multiplication symbol available in most apps,
so I'd refrain from using an alpha-X.

Chris Morton



â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring
Click to
<http://t.sidekickopen68.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgdnqQxW7fsH3H4XrddKW1pNgV-56dMhqf2Q-c6C02?t=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fpub%2Fchris-morton%2F2%2F166%2F6ba&si=6020636811198464&pi=f6e28794-677a-4e12-fbf0-9b00ebda2811>


On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Wright, Lynne <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- kronos -dot- com>
wrote:

> And of course, you could sidestep the whole "times" vs "by" issue by using
> "x" instead
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+lynne -dot- wright=kronos -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
> techwr-l-bounces+lynne -dot- wright=kronos -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of
> Chris Morton
> Sent: April-25-17 10:07 AM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?
>
> "Times it" is slang. I've heard it uttered by folks who don't know the
> term, "multiply," or who are hesitant to use such a big word comprised of
> three syllables (think Jeff Foxworthy caricatures).
>
> It would be all too easy for ESLs to pick up said slang; I do not fault
> them.
>
> Chris Morton
>
>
>
> â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
> â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring Click to <
> http://t.sidekickopen68.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nM
> JN7t5XYgdnqQxW7fsH3H4XrddKW1pNgV-56dMhqf2Q-c6C02?t=https%3A%
> 2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fpub%2Fchris-morton%2F2%2F166%
> 2F6ba&si=6020636811198464&pi=3b023984-2b02-49a5-b1c1-64a3201e0f57>
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > I should have pointed out that all of the dictionaries I tried use
> > "by" in their examples.
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > "By" sounds better.
> > >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
> > techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of
> > Emoto
> > > Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:48 AM
> > > To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> > > Subject: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?
> > >
> > > I am dealing with laboratory instructions (recipes, if you will) for
> > biochemists and lab technicians.
> > >
> > > Part of my gig is to clarify and clean up language as I make other
> > required doc changes.
> > >
> > > I come across something like "multiply the absorbance of the
> > > dilution
> > times 20" and want to change "times" to "by".
> > >
> > > Am I being pedantic?
> > >
> > > Bob
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy
> > and content development | http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
> > and info.
> >
> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> > online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
> > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Lynne -dot- Wright -at- kronos -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | http://techwhirl.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


References:
Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?: From: Emoto
RE: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?: From: Cardimon, Craig
Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?: From: Emoto
Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?: From: Chris Morton
RE: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?: From: Wright, Lynne

Previous by Author: Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?
Next by Author: Resume recommendations for older writers?
Previous by Thread: RE: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?
Next by Thread: Re: Grammar: "Multiply by" or "Multiply times"?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads