RE: Structured stuff for the beginner

Subject: RE: Structured stuff for the beginner
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Chris Despopoulos'" <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 07:20:33 -0400

Perhaps that was unfair. But Structured FrameMaker is not an SGML editor or an XML editor. It has its own structures and a language for mapping those structures for import and export from/too SGML and XML. It might be possible to use SFMs internal structures for the subject domain, but I donât think it is well suited for the purpose.

SGML and XML can both express subject domain structures. Making them easy to edit is a different matter. It is much easier in SGML where tag minimization makes it practical to work in markup directly. XML is too verbose for most people to write in directly, so you need an editor over the tags. This means there is an extra step involved in creating a workable authoring interface. You have to code the styling of elements in the interface.

Oxygen does this coding using CSS with some custom extensions, and provides pre-build stylesheets for common languages like DITA and DocBook. But to do this for a subject domain language, which are generally custom, you would have to do it yourself.

A standard WYSIWYG approach does not work well for the subject domain. Something that looks more like a form is a much better choice, and Oxygen gives you the tools to create a forms-like interface. You can even create what is essentially a forms/document hybrid interface, which is often what you want when a subject domain language has discursive sections.

But I havenât looked at SFM for several versions now, and I recall that FM has introduced a true XML editor now, so I may indeed have been unfair to its current capabilities.

Mark