Re: Structured stuff for the beginner

Subject: Re: Structured stuff for the beginner
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 15:21:37 -0700

I'd be installing and maintaining the software, so I'd see it. I could
define an XML schema and enforce its constraints with existing
software, if it were cost-effective to do so.

You're continuing to misuse "WYSIWYG." Technical writers in a
single-source or structured environment work with tags. Visual editors
just make some tasks easier. They make other tasks impossible, tools
without a source editor (e.g. Confluence Cloud) are unusable.

Source code is a set of instructions that defines the logic and
behavior of an application to be complied or interpreted. Structured
text, the logic is in the schema.

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM, <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com> wrote:
> ... the software is not the same thing as the models -- the subject-domain
> markup languages that let you capture content on a specific topic. The
> software is about making everything around the models easier to implement,
> because that is crucial, but this is not about writers using the software
> (as writers, they would never see it), it is about them using the models. ...
>
> ... writers have been trained to think in terms of WYSIWYG publishing tools ...

... [developers'] working environment is a text editor where they
create structured text ...