RE: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: RE: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: David Artman <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>, Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 19:15:15 +0000

In Fences you can create a folder portal directly into a network folder, as long as you have permissions to open that folder.

It's really not a big deal. You have window-shade roll-up/pull-down view (you can leave it in either state) of the folder contents right on your desktop.

There are risks -- you want to be careful with drag and drop on your desktop, so you don't accidentally drop something into the wrong folder -- but that can happen with an open network folder anyway. No different than the risks in working in Windows Explorer (I've accidentally dropped things into the "expand to current folder" list in an open Explorer window -- and couldn't figure out which nested folder I'd dropped it into! -- but recovered it doing an undo, Whew!).

The tool is ten bucks. Before that I was using iconoid to organize icons, but this is much better.

I don't understand why people are commenting on it as if it's some voodoo. I researched it too before getting it. Stardock seems very well-respected among the developer crowd and makes some interesting tools.

Not a pitch but as long as the gal has an understanding of the purpose of Windows Explorer and directory structures, then the tool can only help her, I would think.

Steve

On Wednesday, November 01, 2017 11:45 AM, David Artman wrote:

However, I *will* point out that having working files only on a local-machine drive (Desktop, C drive, who cares) is a recipe for a total loss scenario. If you cannot have her map to a network share and use <whatever> to navigate it and build the folder and file structure you prefer, then you better have a nightly (or even hourly) backup job running that syncs the local files onto a flash drive or mirror hard drive or something!