Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 11:11:16 -0400

Check the features on this page:
https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/download

Create a desktop portal from any folder.
NEW! Navigate the folder structure from within the fence.


Using mapped drives/folders, this could be quite a useful project
organizer... in the right hands. So I can see where it very well may
enhance one's productivity.

That said, to understand calculus one must first learn algebra. It's been
an ongoing pet peeve of mine that too many computer users don't understand
the basics. Taking shortcuts too often leads to dead ends, or even outright
catastrophes. Would I want this in my tech pubs department? No.

But if the nOOb under Emoto's tutelage does know her way around PCs, then
perhaps the adoption/allowance of Fences may be a good thing.

For example, I would have been at a disadvantage had I not been permitted
to use WinBatch when I was at HP. That tool let me roll my own little
utilities that the entire department used throughout each day.


Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismorton>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring



On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> 1) All such settings get recorded in the Windows registry.
>
> 2) Any registry settings can be easily exported as a *.REG file.
>
> 3) By double-clicking it (or using a command line) he carefully-edited
> *.REG file can be applied to any other Windows registry via sneakernet, the
> innerwebs, or your LAN. This can be very easily scripted.
>
> Chris Morton
> (click logo â for details)
>
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismorton>
> â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
> â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring
>
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> That's good info. Thanks!
>>
>> And, thanks to all of you who have opined and helped me to understand!
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Kevin Ryan <kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Regarding "Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?"
>> >
>> > I have used Fences to improve my computer desktop's ability to corral
>> folder and program shortcuts into visual regions of the desktop. It does a
>> good job at this and it helps me feel less pushed around by Microsoft's
>> imposed desktop-icon behavior. However, its regions are set up to my
>> preferences alone and I know of no way to transfer my preferences to the
>> computer of a coworker or manager. Unlike a Windows Explorer folder
>> structure, which can easily be copied elsewhere, Fences setup, to my
>> knowledge, cannot. I think Fences is a good superficial organizer for me,
>> but not transferrable/share-able/practical for a group.
>> >
>> >
>> > Register
>> > today
>> > for HCTC2017 â Early Bird deadline is August 31!
>> > Kevin Ryan
>> > Technical Writer, Research & Development
>> > P: 802-865-1170x82412
>> > F: 802-865-1171
>> > E: kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com
>> > 426 Industrial Avenue Suite 140
>> > Williston, Vermont
>> > 05495
>> > www.ssivt.com
>> > This message has been sent on behalf
>> > of a company that is part of the Harris Operating Group of
>> > Constellation Software Inc. These companies are listed at the
>> > following link:
>> > http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
>> > Unsubscribe Option:
>> >
>> > If you do not wish to receive any future email, please unsubscribe
>> > by clicking on the following link:
>> > http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
>> > This message is intended exclusively
>> > for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
>> > communication may contain information that is proprietary,
>> > privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
>> > disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not
>> > authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
>> > or any part of it. If you have received this message in error,
>> > please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies
>> > of the message.
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy
>> and content development | http://techwhirl.com
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> >
>> >
>> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
>> and info.
>> >
>> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
>> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>> >
>> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy
>> and content development | http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
>> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | http://techwhirl.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

References:
RE: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?: From: Kevin Ryan
Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?: From: Emoto

Previous by Author: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
Next by Author: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
Previous by Thread: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
Next by Thread: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads