Re: content structure/strategy

Subject: Re: content structure/strategy
From: John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: jopakent -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:47:55 -0500

JPK,

Sarcasm aside, it's no fun where you are right now, and no easy way out.
But there are ways through the morass.

Iterative development - do you mean agile? If so, that's actually a good
thing for you.

Either way, you need to focus on application usability. Find out what your
users do with your app, find the easiest way for them to do it, and write
it down. The QA team probably know the app better than most programmers -
get to know them and build a good collegial working relationship with them.
As you start using the software you're likely to find as many bugs as they
will - they will appreciate this. Get to know the tech support team - the
guys that talk to the users who call for help are excellent sources for
information both about how people use they system, and how it is best used.
And finally, explore on your own. Pretend you're a customer - go through
system setup until you understand what does what - set up sites, users,
workflows, permissions ... get your hands dirty. Assign yourself a task
that sounds like something users would use your system to do and learn how
to get it to do what you want and the obstacles users will encounter. Play
around - don't worry, you're unlikely to break something, and if you do so
can someone else and it's better if you find that out than a customer.

Use shortcuts and shorthand - you won't waste your time or your users ...
for example Admin > Reports > Audit Trail is shorthand to get them from the
top-most part of the app the the screen they need.

Have fun ... and it really can be fun!

My 2Â,

JG