Re: What do you write?

Subject: Re: What do you write?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 13:46:39 -0400

You will need to know which people and other entities are the sources for
correct information, and which ones actually have sign-off authority.

You'll also need to know the level above, so you can get a definite answer
when you ask for a signature and get a runaround, a fight, or a vacant
chair.

You'll need triage that actually works so that you can shove aside the
merely urgent tasks to service the totally crucial ones.

You'll need the active or moral support of someone in the boardroom, so
that when some other board member asks, "What's wrong with that lunkhead
Posada?" you don't have to spend the next three weeks defending yourself
or signing up for food stamps.

Part of your job will be attempting to prevent outside forces from getting
in the way of the writers. It is not uncommon for certain people, too big
for their britches, to believe that a technical or creative writer is also
a typist, file clerk, or computer sysadmin.

It may help to create whimsical job descriptions for your various kinds of
writers. E.g., "Experienced writer: Leaps tall buildings in a single
bound." "Lead writer: Assists others in the art of bounding." "Ex-writer:
Falls on face. Ignores considerable assistance from above and below."

I'm only scratching the metaphor here. There's lots more.

On Wed, 09 May 2018 13:21:25 -0400, John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
wrote:

Hi guys...

I've taken control of the documentation services for my department,
servicing maybe 200 people.
I'm defining what my department will address.
Keeping in mind this is a bank (and therefore the chances of nuclear
regulations probably would probably be out of scope) and in a heavily
regulated area (AML Compliance), I'm curious to get your "scope" that may
remind me of stuff I forgot to include.

What have you?