RE: Link to Excel table with filtering enabled

Subject: RE: Link to Excel table with filtering enabled
From: Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Weissman, Jessica R" <WeissmanJR -at- state -dot- gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 18:26:12 +0000

Jessica Weissman wrote:

> If you think you'd be revising the glossary wording and want to keep it
> updated, you might be able to transfer the Excel sheet into a Word doc and
> use bookmarks to grab current text.

I know the approach Jessica mentioned is what I use for 300ish Word documents that are associated with my disaster recovery documentation that I maintain with RoboHelp. Those 300ish Word documents are linked from RoboHelp to a network folder structure. Like John, I knew I did NOT want to copy and paste my standard headings into those 300ish documents, only to have to update 300ish Word documents if one or any number of those standard headings needed to be changed. This is how I implemented Jessica's suggestion:

1) I created a "DRStandards.docx file" and typed all the standard headings. This would be the Glossary file in Excel.
2) I created a bookmark for each of the headings. This was easy to do.
3) I edited the 300ish linked Word documents and replaced whatever headings were in the Word document with my standard headings as a field.
4) I found a Word macro that will search for all Word documents within a specific folder structure and update all the fields within those Word documents. For example, if I update the DRStandards.docx text for the "Overview" bookmark and save the DRStandards.docx, and then run that macro, all of the Word documents get updated with that change.

It would require moving your glossary from Excel to Word, if that's an option.

Paul Hanson
My blog: http://prhmusic.blogspot.com
Me Playing Drums: http://prhmusic.blogspot.com/p/videos-of-me-playing-drums.html
Twitter: @prhmusic