RE: Odd/Even formatting

Subject: RE: Odd/Even formatting
From: Syed Zaeem Hosain <Syed -dot- Hosain -at- aeris -dot- net>
To: Sion Lane <sion -dot- lane -at- unit4 -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 19:45:26 +0000

It usually depends on the purpose of the document.

If I do _not_ expect the document to be printed (or rarely printed) out for use, then page numbers on the top right is typically what I do, but have done it odd/even too.

The length of the document is another variable - if it is long enough (_well_ more than 75 pages) then I think my readers expect to print the PDF as a reference, so wider spacing on the inside edge and odd/even page numbering is how I do it. Since the likely output is printing dual-sided, with hole punches on the inside (so need the extra space).

Of course, on my recent technical book (literally just printed - first signing today in a few hours, yay!), we provide printed books to our customers with a free PDF available for download if so desired.

For this book, we _definitely_ used odd/even page formatting for obvious reasons!

I should point out that one-time setup and using odd/even page number formatting is so darn easy (whether in FrameMaker, Word, InDesign, or my current LaTeX use), that it makes no real working difference once that setup is done!