Re: Git for Tech Pubs [was FW: L@@king for recommendations for a doc source-file management system....]

Subject: Re: Git for Tech Pubs [was FW: L@@king for recommendations for a doc source-file management system....]
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:35:20 -0800

Hi Steve,

My comment was directed primarily to when binary files get updated in the
SCM. If binary files like photos and concept graphics arenât updated every
revision, and they are merely linked to the source files that are text,
then they wonât use more disk space... But then, if the document container
is also a binary file (FM, Word, PSD, etc.) then youâre out of luck. Every
revision will be stored as binary.

A lot of it is due to what you have to work with. I donât know if Adobe
supports versioning within FM the same way that Microsoft does with Word.
Apparently you can collaborate on Word documents when you use SharePoint as
the hub. I had an experience where we were able to collaborate in real time
on the same doc. But this very rarely worked well. Itâs just possible. I
didnât say it would be easy.

With the docs-as-code movement in full swing, text source files processed
by scripts or a build engine into static output files will make git and
other SCM options more useful.

The other option is to not worry about disk space and just fill it. Drive
space is cheap. Mount multiple drives as a single expandable volume and
call it a day.

Cheers,

-Tony

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com