Re: Considering the STC summit in May

Subject: Re: Considering the STC summit in May
From: Charlotte Branth Claussen <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:48:29 +0000

Hi Mary,

I agree with Thorsten, it's very useful to get impressions from - and
exposure to - different groups.

If I were you, I would go to as many Meetups, events, conferences, and
courses as you have time for and can afford.
Also, you started by joining this list, which is very helpful in itself,
and there are plenty of relevant LinkedIn groups.

You're saying you're an English major, so you may also want to look into
related areas such as content strategy, UI copy writing/UX writing, etc.

Regarding internships, they're usually easy to find if you will accept
low-paid or unpaid internships. I started my career with a FrameMaker
course and an internship that I had to leave before the end of it because I
was offered a paid job in another company. And even if you can't get an
internship right away, you can still get experience and create a portfolio,
for example by contributing to open source projects.

Looking forward to following your career development!

/Charlotte